Whether you have read about Why Not Wednesday and the other goal-setting days of the week or aren’t sure what I’m talking about I encourage you to celebrate your accomplishments this weekend. Even if your accomplishments were focused on determining what goal or positive routine you want to start and you haven’t taken any steps yet. Acknowledging a goal or new habit is a huge accomplishment!
This weekend (or during a free moment next week) focus on the one thing you want to accomplish right now or new habit you want to incorporate and fill in the blanks:
- My motivation is (fill in this blank) – so I can (fill in this blank)
- My motivation is better health so I can be more active with my friends and family.
- My motivation is to write daily so I can publish my novel finally.
- My motivation is to be a certified nutritionist so I can work for myself and share my passion for health with others.
- My motivation is to save more money each month so I can travel to a national park next year.
When you change the word ‘goal’ to motivation it helps you see it more clearly and by answering ‘so I can…’ it forces you to focus on your ‘why’ and outcome. For me personally, motivation gets me more excited and determined than the word ‘goal’.
Once you have your goal/motivation set and focus on your why you can develop your action plan (to do list) easier.
Using the last example above you could start your action plan with:
- Research transportation methods and costs to the state you want to visit
- Tally up all costs related to trip then figure out how much you need to save each week.
- Start putting together trip agenda
- Discover the best time of year to travel there
- Open up a new savings account to better track savings.
What is your current motivation?
Photo by Martin Shreder via Unsplash.com