One of the most important interviewing tips has to be examples of questions to ask the interviewer. Typically, at the end of an interview you are asked, “do you have any questions for me/us?” And this seems to stump a lot of people, it has me in the past.
I always suggest researching the company you are interviewing with, this will help you come up with questions to ask. Read over the mission statement and discover as much as you can about the company. When researching find answers to the following:
- Are they opening a new division or beginning a new project?
- Have they been highlighted in a recent article or received an award?
- Did they recently celebrate a milestone such as so many years in business, etc.?
- Is there a board, committee, executive team, etc. if so familiarize yourself with the names.
- Do employees participate in a volunteer day or does the company support a local non-profit?
- Is there an accomplishment or focus that the company has that you connect with or feel passionate about?
Once you answer the questions above or similar ones you are prepared to ask a variety of questions to the interviewer(s). Example questions to ask the interviewer include:
- I recently read that the company expanded out of state, can you tell me more about that expansion?
- I read in a recent article that the company was awarded the best place to work recognition, can you tell me more about that process?
- I know two of the main responsibilities of this position are to coordinate travel and set up quarterly board meetings. Can you explain a bit more about who requires travel, is it every member of the board, etc.? And please describe a typical agenda for the meetings.
- Please provide a brief summary of a typical day in that position.
- What professional development opportunities are offered?
- What is your (or each committee member’s) favorite app or program that is used most often?
What questions have you asked during an interview?
Have any interviewing or career or writing questions? Contact me below or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for reading! For additional information check out my ‘about me‘ page!