My journal is finally in print form!! To show my gratitude & excitement I will be giving away a few copies very soon! Stay tuned!
This unique calendar journal will help guide you on your daily journey during this ‘year in the life of…’ The word ‘of’ can simply be followed up by your name or by what you are focused on being this year; being healthier, a writer, a student, an artist, a creator, a business owner, a traveler, a doer. It’s YOUR year. With this goal-focused journal guide, you can celebrate accomplishments, easily create action steps, stay focused & motivated and even reach beyond your comfort zone & try new things while journaling your thoughts and action plan.
Available at Lulu here.
In another post, I defined the word empower and a few other words. I’ve been asked to give more details and focus on the actions needed to accomplish goals. Taking action toward a goal that will bring more joy to your life is how you create the future you truly want. Your goals create you. Taking action empowers you. As simple or grand as your goals may seem they are uniquely yours; uniquely you.
One form of action is to learn as much as you can about what your passion and what brings you joy. Ask yourself:
- What hobby or activity brings me the most joy and/or peace?
- Do you feel relaxed when you create? What is your favorite creative outlet (writing, drawing, baking, crafting, etc.)?
- Is there a class or online tutorial I can take to advance my skills even further toward this hobby or activity?
- Are there clubs or groups that I can join to help incorporate this into my daily routine and become even more comfortable with it?
Another form of action is to set goals that promote your own well-being. Questions to ask:
- What life category do you feel is the most important right now at this time your life? For example, if Spirit is the most important to you right now have you set aside time to meditate, journal, stretch or truly unwind at the end of each day? What goals can you set and easily fit into your current daily routine that promotes your own well-being? What time of day can you dedicate to accomplishing this goal or these goals?
- Do you have someone in your support circle to set this goal with that is encouraging?
Action empowers you to create the life you want to live. First defining your goal focus and then creating just one step daily that gets you closer to that focus gives you control to accomplish what is most important to you. Check out my week-long process in my previous post if you need to define your main goal focus.
I’m very excited about my newest project and I will be giving away a copy of my goal journal very soon!!!
Keep goaling and reach out and let me know what goal you are focused on right now!
Recently, I defined the words self-care, selfish and empowerment. Continuing with that theme I’d like to encourage more self-love through goal-setting. Why goal-setting? Because it’s the first step to encourage action toward what brings you joy! Once you set a goal you can start taking the steps to make that goal a reality. Focusing on your passion/dream/goal is the best way to create peace and empowerment. It allows a process to start in motion and brings opportunities for accountability and accomplishment. It’s got self-love written all over it 🙂
Goals typically fall in a few broad categories. My personal categories that I use are:
- Well-being – Mental and physical health; stretching, walking, meditation, conscious eating, plenty of water. Ask yourself – What are my health goals, what are my limits?
- Spirit – Self-care, gratitude journaling, positive affirmations, create, hobbies. Ask yourself – What brings joy and peace? What nourishes me?
- Circle – Mutual relationships that allow you to give and receive support; family, friends, work friendships, recovery groups, clubs or hobby groups. Ask yourself – Who balances with me? Who supports me and invites my support?
- Productivity – Daily routine; work, volunteering, caregiver, budgeting, learning. Ask yourself – What is my current daily schedule (define it). What do I want my future schedule or routine to look like and consist of?
Once you define your most important goal and research the first few steps needed to make it a reality, dedicate time to accomplishing it and celebrate each progress…life will change; you will change…you will be giving much self-love to yourself and trust me, you’ll thank yourself for doing so!
I personally benefit from keeping a journal/calendar to track my progress and keep my to-do lists organized. I’ve been working on a project slowly for a couple of years and look forward to sharing it with everyone very soon! Hint hint…it’ll be giveaway time worthy! I’ll announce that soon! (So excited and giddy, I can hardly hide it).
What goal are you focused on right now? Do you have time dedicated to it daily or maybe weekly? How empowered are you feeling right now?? Comment below or send me an email.
It can be difficult to take a leap and begin the work needed to achieve a goal. Any type of goal can be life changing; focusing on your health, changing careers, starting a relationship or business, writing a novel, etc. Even a chosen change can bring on a bit of stress. Goals are fluid though, they change as you need them to, they do not happen overnight and you have complete control.
This is one of my favorite quotes – You can’t edit a blank page. As a writer I have sat in front of many blank screens and notepad pages and felt renewed when the page becomes alive with thoughts translating into words, paragraphs and scenes.
You don’t need to be a writer to understand a blank page cannot be edited. A goal cannot be achieved or adjusted if it’s never started. I’ve shared some realistic daily steps for goal setting here. If you are looking for a sign to get started, I hope this provides some encouragement as you read. You have the strength and willpower. Anyone that says you can’t do something simply sees their own limitations and fears.
Goals are personal, even if it seems like a common goal such as get healthier or start a business, no one starts this goal focus for the exact same reason or achieves results in exactly the same way.
- Find your why; the reason you want to focus on your goal and the future you envision. Keep that ‘why’ close to you throughout your journey.
- Dedicate time to your goal and the steps needed; small steps are still steps!
- Embrace your reason, your way, and your uniqueness.
- Find your circle of support!
- Take care of yourself no matter what type of goal you work toward, support your own mental and physical wellbeing. Caring for yourself is never selfish
What is your focus? What are you filling your page with? Remember, you’re capable, you’re unique and you have the willpower!
I hope you have been enjoying the weekly goal setting tips. If you missed the first post check it out here!
I’ve enjoyed hearing from so many of you as you share goals! Several of you have shared the desire to read more! Whether it’s for self learning/education and personal growth or to escape into a fictional world for a few minutes or few hours it’s been a popular topic!
If reading or reading more is one of your goals or something you’d like to treat yourself to more often I encourage you to visit your local public library (in person or online) and discover some new releases or close your eyes and pick one out of your own collection.
Reading just a few pages a day can easily turn into a book a month – a 300 page book can be read in a typical month by reading just 10 pages a day!! Imagine what you could learn or discover in 12 new reads a year!
Places to read:
- Lunch break
- While waiting for an appointment
- On the bus or subway
- During a child’s sport’s practice or music lesson
- Waking up earlier in the morning or setting aside time each evening
- Audio books open up many other options; while driving, working out, during certain routine job tasks, etc.
And if you are the adventurous reader looking for a unique personalized reading discovery I encourage to join my fun (or silly) new adventure – The Book Muse Society!
What is The Book Muse Society?
Since I enjoy combining my love of bargain hunting and reading I’d like to share that joy with an opportunity for fellow readers through the book muse society. For those who enjoy the mystery of discovering new authors and books including options for adult, young adult, and children!
How does it work?
- Email me with the subject line Book Muse Society – say hello and why you are interested.
- I’ll personally respond with a few questions about your reading preferences, genre likes and dislikes, etc.
- I’ll go on the hunt and search out an interesting gently used book surprise chosen just for you!
- All gently used books will be like new or very good condition. Some books will be in new condition, recently published or well known classic and/or popular reads.
- For a small fee to cover the book cost, shipping, packing and time I will send you the surprise treasure wrapped with an encouraging quote and positive challenge.
- Enjoy the reading discovery and let me know a few of your favorite book quotes
- Also, makes a unique gift for adults or children!
- Currently, only available in the United States (due to costs). I hope to expand this in the near future!
The official launch will be announced soon through a free giveaway for two winners to receive free personalized book discoveries! Details coming very soon!
Whether you are interested in a gently used unique treasure or not, I encourage you to read as often as you can, learn as much as you can and read out of your comfort zone now and then!
What are you reading?
June 7, 2018
Your rare appearance the other day was actually a welcome sight. I have spent years avoiding meetings with you even taking a longer path or avoiding a journey entirely at just the slight chance we may have briefly interacted.
I’ve grown over the years though. I’ve learned from heartache, forgiven my wrongs and those of others and grown confident despite my insecurities. Through these lessons I have realized just how beautiful you are.
Without knowing you, learning from you and sharing that knowledge with others there is no way to truly discover love. Without your insights I don’t think I’d truly know myself which is key in letting others know me.
Your teachings are valued beyond what my words can express. Thank you for the enlightenment. I believe we will be seeing a lot more of one another, my dear friend.
More information about me on my ABOUT ME Page!
I’m excited to announce the launch of the Success Encourager’s Journal Club!! I want to invite you to join me. Whether you are an experienced and active journaler / letter writer or simply looking for tips and want to get started I invite you to join the club! It’s easy, simply connect with me on Instagram (successencourager), follow this WordPress blog or read updates and posts on my website (www.danabuchanan.com). Feel free to email me with questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
Why a club? I have shared my love and enthusiasm for journaling and letter writing in past posts and typically find a creative way to bring it up in most conversations…some would say I get overly giddy or even obsessive about them. OK, I may see their point, but isn’t holding your favorite journal or stationary and handwriting a recap of your day or jotting down your dreams for the future you foresee yourself living or writing warm wishes to a dear friend and mailing them off almost magical? I know I am not the only one that feels this way!
I journal professionally and personally. I have shared my journaling methods and my love for letter writing with others. I greatly appreciate every opportunity to share this ‘obsession’ with! More details about this are on my website.
So what does this club do or offer? I’m so glad you asked! The club is a creative outlet, not stressful, no deadlines or membership fees, it’s simply a fun way for me and other members to connect with others that share our love of journaling and letter writing or connect with those wanting to learn more! I will post prompts and ideas, I welcome shared journal and letter photos on Instagram (#sejournalclub) and encourage comments to blogposts.
I’m even working on a monthly letter giveaway…more details soon, but here is a hint – it’ll include a personalized hand-written encouraging letter from me and a blank card or stationary to be ‘paid forward’ to someone you want to encourage and may even include a journal and/or book giveaway (if you have published a book with a journaling or letter writing theme or journal and want to donate a copy for a future giveaway, email me!!!!).
I’m so excited (giddy even) about this and looking forward to seeing how it will evolve!! Comment below if you’re interested in joining or email me and look for future updates and announcements coming soon!!!
A couple of tips and ideas to get us started –
- Create a list journal; travel, goals, ideas, books, recipes, events, concerts, etc. that you want to participate in, attend, read, cook, etc. Focus on one list and create a few steps toward making it a reality. For example if you want to cook more or experiment with new recipes, choose three or four to start, make an ingredient list, set aside time to create this culinary masterpiece and record what you liked about it, who you enjoyed it with, what you would change, etc. Recording your accomplishments encourages confidence and future goals…anything is possible with the right steps, action and accomplishment tracking!
- Create a journal for the next generation. Whether it’s your child, grandchild, friend’s children, nephew, niece, sister or brother…start a journal that records details of family gatherings, milestones, quotes from family and friends, and those days that would otherwise seem routine yet are so special. Include a pocket for ticket stubs, notes, photos, etc. and give it all to the child on a special birthday.
What are you journaling right now? Who was the last recipient of a letter or card you sent via ‘snail mail’?
Check out my ABOUT ME page for additional information!