A personal mission statement not only helps you create and accomplish goals, but also focus on the future you want in a brief summary. Your personal mission statement describes what success means to you. It summarizes where you want to be in the future and should reflect your goals, values and life’s purpose. Everyone’s should be unique to them.
You can create such a statement through a few questions and a journey through personal self-discovery. This process helps you focus on the most important goals and encourages you to create a list of steps to accomplish them! Once you have a personal mission statement you can expand that into a more detailed mission and goal list.
You can create a personal mission statement by asking yourself:
- What is important to me?
- What do I want to accomplish?
- What does my future look like?
- What skills and experience do I have?
- What skills do I need to learn?
- What makes me unique?
- Do my goals include others?
- How will my goals benefit others?
- What values are most important to me?
Once you have answers to the questions above, you can start to piece together a statement by combining the words that mean the most to you and create your own personal mission statement.
After a lot of drafts, I came up with my own personal mission statement:
To encourage others to set goals & succeed, share my professional and personal knowledge and create through my passion for writing.
Other samples include:
- “To be a teacher. And to be known for inspiring my students to be more than they thought they could be.” – Oprah Winfrey’s personal statement
- “To have fun in my journey through life and learn from my mistakes.” – Sir Richard Branson’s personal statement
- “Making the best possible ice cream, in the nicest possible way.” Ben & Jerry’s mission statement
What is your personal mission statement? What goal do you want to focus on and accomplish?
Thank you for reading!!
Read more about me and my professional services at ABOUT ME!